Tender and soft taco shells are always a hit. There is no way they are left unappreciated once home made them. Some doesn’t know the fact that tortillas can be easily made at home without any pressure.
With simple ingredients like flour, water, salt and fat (oil), delicious taco shells can be prepared in no time. They excellently blend into that savoury chicken freshly made, that spicy beef which adds a little spiciness to your dinner time or even with any meat.
So, without any delay, let’s get to the making of this Soft Taco Shell:
Ingredients required for the making the Shell.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
Steps to Follow:
- In a stand mixer, mix the flour and baking powder with salt. Later mix well the dry ingredients too.
- Set the mixer at a medium speed and add oil and water to it.
- Wait for the mixture to form a ball, then reduce the mixer’s speed to low.
- Mix for one minute until the dough is smooth.
- Spread some flour to a clean and flat surface.
- Have 16 small portions from the dough mixture and coat with flour.
- Roll each portion to a ball and flatten them with your palm.
- Wrap the flattened dough with a kitchen towel and leave it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on the rolling pin and dough working surface.
- Roll every rested dough into circles with at least of 6-7 diameter.
- Heat a pan over medium heat
- Place the dough circle one at a time to the pan.
- Cook the dough for about a 1 minute or until you see brown spots at the bottom of the dough.
- Make sure to have the right heat amount; if the dough turns brown too fast reduce the heat, also if the browning takes time to increase the heat.
- When to find the uncooked side is turning to be bubbly flip the tortilla.
- Cook for 15-20 seconds.
- Make sure the tortillas are soft with pale brown spots.
- Once done, remove the tortillas from the pan using tongs.
- Store them in an airtight container or a zippered bag.
- Serve warm or wait to cool.
Note: When microwaving the cooled tortillas, place a damp paper towel at the bottom of the container, and microwave for 15-30 seconds.
Have parchment paper/ waxed paper to separate tortillas, and store it in the freezer in a zippered bag.
Some Hacks to make things easier:
- If you are not able to find a stand mixer, mixing the dough by hand is also an option.
- Mix the mixtures with a spoon or spatula in a bowl. Knead the dough until it is smooth.
- To make sure your tortillas are soft, roll the tortillas too thin in a way that they are translucent.
- Remember to rest the tortillas at least 15-30 minutes, or else the dough will keep shrinking back when rolling.
- Olive oil or vegetable oil are good alternatives for extra virgin oil. On using coconut or peanut oil, there is a chance that the tortillas may get the oil’s flavour a bit.
- Make sure you are cooking the tortillas for a proper time. If cooked too long the tortillas may become stiff.
Homemade Corn Tortillas
When it comes to tortillas, the option of corn tortilla is one of the better ideas. Now let us get into how to make these delicious Corn Tortillas.
- 1½ cups Masa Harina
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (or butter)
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 cups flour
Steps to Follow:
- Mix in the Masa, oil, and salt in a bowl with a spoon.
- Pour the water slowly into the dough while stirring with the spoon
- Knead the flour for 1-2 minutes in a floured surface it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with plastic and leave to rest for 30 minutes or more.
- Have portions from the dough making it to 12-16 pieces.
- Have these portions lightly covered in flour and roll them into circles with at least 4-6 inches.
- You can either use a tortilla press, or press them with your hands, or else you can roll than with a rolling pin.
- Heat the skillet or pan over medium-high heat for at least 4-5 minutes.
Also Read: Beer Battered Fish Tacos
- Cook the tortillas (one or two) for a minute until you see brown spots under the tortillas.
- Once done, flip the side.
- When the tortillas get thoroughly cooked, you can transfer them to a plate by wrapping them in a towel (this is ti keep them warm).
- Serve immediately as hot or store them when cooled in the refrigerator.
We all know tacos are known as the notorious unhealthy food. So we may try to give them up at times. It is nearly impossible to say no to this Mexicano. But let’s not lose hope. Here is a way to make them healthy and Tasty.
Ingredients to make the healthy Salad:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups of corn chips
- 1 cup cheddar shredded cheese
- ¼ cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 tbsp hot pepper sauce
- ¼ cup onion soup mix
- A ¾ cup of water
- One lettuce (chopped)
- Taco sauce
- ½ cup tomato (sliced)
- ½ cup black olives (sliced)
Steps to follow:
- Cook the beef in a pan over medium heat until the pink colour disappears.
- Later add the onion soup mix with water to the pan and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Then add the hot pepper sauce and keep it aside.
- Mix the tomatoes, black olives, lettuce, bell pepper and cheese in a bowl.
- Once done, add the cooked meat and taco chips (crushed) to the top of the vegetables and serve it with taco sauce.
Above given are the recipes that we believe will impress your taste buds. Let us know once you have tried this Tasty Mexican Food and do let us know it went down when cooking or tasting it for the first time.
Do let us know if you feel like we need to add more information? Or you have a different way of cooking them? Please let us know. Feel free to comment below with your feedback and suggestions.